Monday, June 11, 2007

June 03rd, 07 - Kolar - Devenahalli Ride.

June 03rd, 07 - Kolar - Devenahalli Ride. I was in for a rude awakening as the alarm clock shrilled early on a Sunday morning, I was sound asleep and then I heard a banging on my door, I knew it was time to get up as my mom had woken up to the sound of my alarm. I got up and got ready in a jiffy and headed for Big Bazaar, which was slated to be the starting point for this FSR.When I got there most of the people had already arrived and with-in a few minutes everyone landed up and we started off. Our first pit stop was Kamat Upachar on the Bangalore-Kolar Highway and everyone sped off, the ride was beautiful beyond Hoskote as the greenery started and it was really cool in the morning. Just as I was reaching Kamat, while overtaking a tractor, my bike suddenly went off, I still had enough momentum to overtake the tractor and pull over. As I was pulling over I downshifted to second and let go of the clutch and boom the bike started again, man that was a small scare and I carried on. Reached the Kamat and pretty soon we were sitting down for breakfast, the idly/vadas were average and after a coffee we headed out. As soon as we left Kamat, we pulled into an empty peice of land for a line-up picture and soon after the pics were taken and we got going. We took the road towards Narsapur, instead of taking the bypass, I was following Siddarth who was following Ram and we continued on.We had to actually take the left as soon as we reached Narsapur towards Vemagal and Vijayapura, but I was just following the bikes in front and we were soon cruising towards Kolar and enjoying the lovely rock formations and the greenery along the route after travelling for a while we realised that we hadn't seen the other riders in a while and I saw Ram who had pulled up, I went a little ahead with Siddarth and stopped and called Santosh. Then I realised that we had overshot the turn-off by about 10-12 Kms, with a muttered curse, we were soon speeding back and took the turn-off at Narsapur towards Vijayapura. About 5 kms after Narsapura we came upon the village of Vemagal, here a policeman came up immediately and told us that a bunch of riders had turned left towards Vijayapura. We proceeded ahead and pretty soon caught up with the others who were waiting for us a little ahead of Vemagal. After the usual, where the hell did you guys go, and so on and so forth, we started towards Vijayapura which was about 20 oddd kms away, the road were fantastic with lush green fields and very little traffic. There was a stretch of road which was lined with huge trees on both sides and the overhanging branches formed a tunnel into which little or no sunlight penetrated, I even started to feel a little chill as I had taken off my leather jacket.This was a fantastic stretch of road which made up for the 20 odd KM detour we guys had taken. Soon we were at Vijayapura, where some of us had to refuel our bikes, after refueling we started towards Devanahalli. I was just settling into the rhythm of the ride and was soaking in the green surroundings when I came upon a sign-board proclaiming, Devanahalli 5Kms, I immediately slowed down, I didn't want the ride to get over so early, man we were just getting started.I eventually reached Devanahalli and regrouped with the whole gang there, Sats, BK and Senthil hadn't arrived yet as Senthil had a flat. We ended up waiting at Devenahalli cross under the Banyan tree sitting on the stone benches for close to an hour waiting for the others to arrive. After about an hour, Sats, BK and Senthil landed up with the flat fixed, we were contemplating whether to head towards Nandi Hills or whether to head back to Bangalore. We all decided to head back towards Bangalore as some of the riders needed to get back early, we decided to head into Devanahalli and take the inner route from Devanahalli to Hennur, but soon this came to naught as soon as we reached the turn-off we were told by a bunch of locals that the road was closed due to the construction work of the Bangalore International Airport. In the name of progress, another nice and scenic route bites the dust, huh??? We headed back to the Devanahalli highway and turned towards Bangalore, the journey back was a speedsters delight and all the bikes were ripping, I was cautious with my bike as it had already stalled and didn't want it to happen again, after a while I got tired and opened up, and soon caught up with the rest, at the Hennur turn-off. Here we decided to head for lunch to a dhaba as it was getting hotter and hotter, Santosh and Rajesh decided to head back to Nandi's, the rest of the group headed to Mela Dhaba just opposite Jakkur. With a couple of chilled ones for company we touched base with a number of first-timers on this ride, it felt good to talk to new bikers, people from varied backgrounds who share the same passion. Thus another ride came to an end, this wasn't the best of rides and it wasn't the worst, though I don't think any FSR ride can be given the sobriquet as the worst ride. :-) But, in all, it felt good and it was really nice meeting the newest additions to FSR and a hearty "Come Aboard" to the new cowboys. Cheers, Suru The line-up on 3rd June, 2007 1. Aditya - RD 350 2. Aravind - RD 350 3. Screech - RD 350 4. Ram - RD 350 5. Senthil - RD 350 6. Rajesh - RD 350 7. BK - RX100 8. Sreenivasan - Honda Unicorn 9. Mats - Royal Enfield Bullet 500 10.Darren - Royal Enfield Bullet 500 11.Roy - Royal Enfield Bullet 350 12.Satya a.k.a SRK - Honda XR600 13.Satsosh / Nargis - BMW 650 14.Siddarth - Hero Honda CBZ 15.Suru - Yezdi Roadking

No comments: